What is meant by the mind?
The mind is a brain function related to our consciousness such as personality, thoughts, memory, judgement, intellect and emotion.
List five characteristics of a healthy mind.
Five characteristics of a healthy mind:
• Can think and make reasonable decisions
• Can detect stimuli and respond appropriately
• Can remember the sad and happy past events
• Can distinguish between right and wrong
• Be open-minded and not be emotional
Explain how hormonal imbalance can affect the mind.
Hormonal imbalance affects mental health. Over secretion and under secretion of hormones by endocrine glands cause imbalance in body function. For example, a woman with premenstrual syndrome has an imbalance in oestrogen and progesterone hormone secretion by the ovary. The hormonal imbalance causes the woman to become irritable, have headache and become depressed.
State three factors that influence mental health.
• Excessive intake of alcohol
• Drug abuse